Recipe by: Ben Fewkes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used gluten free)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (optional)
- 1 RXBAR Gingerbread Protein Bar
1. In a bowl, beat the butter until completely smooth and creamy. Add the sugar and molasses and beat until it's smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Next, beat in egg and vanilla.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves together until combined. Slowly mix into the wet ingredients until combined. The cookie dough will be quite thick and slightly sticky.
3. Divide dough in half and place each onto a large piece of plastic wrap or wax paper. Wrap each up tightly and pat down to create a disc shape. Chill discs for at least 3 hours and up to 3 days.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line 2-3 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
(Optional - Instead of cutting the cookies, you can roll them in the additional coconut sugar and hash mark them with a fork)
5. Remove 1 disc of chilled cookie dough from the refrigerator. Generously flour a work surface, as well as your hands and the rolling pin. Don’t be afraid to continually flour the work surface as needed- this dough can be sticky.
6. Roll out disc until 1/4-inch thick. Cut into shapes. Place shapes 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Re-roll dough scraps until all the dough is shaped. Repeat with remaining disc of dough.
7. Bake cookies for 8-10 min.