Mole with Chicken
By: Stano Lio
1/2 cup RX Nut Butter Chocolate Peanut Butter
3 tbsp. peanut oil
5 lbs skinless boneless chicken thighs
3 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups orange juice
1 1/4 lbs onions, sliced
6 cloves garlic, minced
4 tsp. cumin seeds
4 tsp. coriander seeds
6 dried guajillo chile peppers
4 dried ancho chile peppers
1/4 cup raisins
4 strips orange peel
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 (3.1 oz) disk Mexican chocolate, chopped
Tortillas for serving
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Add chicken to pot; sauté until lightlybrowned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to large bowl.
2. Return chicken and any juices to pot. Add broth and orange juice; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer until chicken is tender and just cooked through, about 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until golden brown. Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic, cumin seed, and coriander seeds. Sauté until nuts and garlic begin to color, about 2 minutes. Add RX Nut Butter and chiles and stir until beginning to soften.
4. Using tongs, transfer chicken to large bowl. Pour chicken cooking liquid into saucepan with onion mixture (save pot). Add raisins, orange peel, and oregano to saucepan. Cover and simmer until chiles are very soft, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Remove pan from heat and add chocolate. Let stand until chocolate melts and sauce mixture cools slightly, about 15 minutes.
5. Transfer sauce mixture to blender and puree until smooth; return to pot. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Coarsely shred chicken and return to sauce and stir to coat the chicken.
6. Garnish with cilantro.